Graphic Design Process Book

Professor Doug Scott
 

Concept through Production
SPRING 2013
 

Wire bound process book of my work from Graphic Design 1 at Northeastern University. The book shows the final product and progression of five different projects throughout the semester, ranging from creating a translation drawing to designing a play poster.

IMG_6433.jpg
 

Light Bulb Translation Drawing


I experimented with various strokes for the bulb and cleaned up the inconsistencies of the initial Illustrator tracing, creating the final product as seen below. The dynamic stroke helps to capture the fluidity of the bulb, moving the viewers eye all around the object.

 

Translation Drawing Advertisements


The guidelines for this project were very straightforward. One horizontal ad for an established company and one vertical ad for a made up company, both with supplied copy. I arrived at the final target ad after deciding that empty space is very powerful if used properly. I left the space in the top right and bottom middle, however their interaction with the rest of the ad allows for the spaces to work effectively. I really pushed the hierarchy in the Oakbrook Store ad; giving sale and light bulbs more weight while reducing the weight of ‘The Oakbrook Store‘ which was already higher up due to its size. Spacing out the cities helped to make them more attractive without distracting from the store title.

 

Romeo and Juliet Play Poster


The parameters for the poster were to use no more than three icons and use type as the primary communicator. I decided to use two icons to represent Romeo and Juliet. With the death of each character being such an integral part of the story, it was natural for me to choose their two methods of suicide. Keeping the poster as clean and minimal as possible was the main design principle that I followed. 

RomeoJ.jpg
 

Publisher Logo Design


I first sketched out several different options and configurations of R and K. I decided to go with the backwards R followed by the front-facing K. The next step was to find a typeface that complemented the design. I finally decided to use Bodoni. Bodoni provides a dynamic form without being frail in spots like Didot. I added the background circle to give the form a bit more structure as it is slightly unbalanced.

 

Photography Book Covers


As the assignment was to create a series of book covers for three assigned photographers, I quickly realized I would have to tackle the fact that the names of the photographers ranged from 5 to 16 characters. Even after dropping off the first names of Parks and Feininger, I was still faced with a four character difference. I decided to give Feininger the full width and match the point size to the other photographers. I wanted to differentiate the line “Landmarks in the History of Photography” so I decided to choose a serif typeface (Baskerville) in small caps. The spine was relatively simple to design. I took the left overhang of the cover image and made that the background of the spine. From there it was simply a matter of dropping in the photographer, author, and the previously created logo.